Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The draw was fair says Mourinho

FINAL WHISTLE VERDICT: A FAIR POINT

Jose Mourinho highlighted the performance of his youngsters following our 0-0 draw at Old Trafford on Monday night.
We made it two shutouts in a row at Manchester United's home following our narrow victory there in May, and in the process enforced their first goalless draw in the Barclays Premier League in 83 matches.
Mourinho felt afterwards neither side had done enough to warrant taking all three points, and was pleased with how his players dug in to emerge undefeated.
'I think it's a fair point,' he said. 'Nobody deserved to lose, nobody did enough or nobody was better than the opponent to deserve a clear victory, so I think it's a fair point. For us after home victories to come to the champions and in their first match at home to get the point, I think it's fine, it's positive.
'I played here with four kids under 22 in attack, for some of them the first time at Old Trafford. They played against the champions, against Ferdinand, against Vidic, against Evra. My kids behaved very well. They couldn't produce enough to win the game, we didn't have as many situations as we expected to, we missed some easy passes but the boys were fantastic. The kids were fantastic. The whole generation was brilliant. It's a very good quality for my team.
'My team needs this because it is a team with a lot of talent but at the same time they need to know how to play in difficult circumstances.They know how to think tactically, how to think in a result if the result you want is not possible. For me it was fantastic. Andre Schurrle playing aginst Evra, Oscar playing in different positions. For me it was fantastic.
'It's not a victory, only one point, and not the best match but when you try to educate these kids and make them competitive men, playing in a team that wants to win the title, you need to play the match where you play amazing football but you need also to play the match where you thought tactically for 90 minutes, so I praise my people. They had a good start to the season, two victories at home and one point at the champions' home.'
On Wayne Rooney, the Chelsea transfer target who played an impressive 90 minutes for the hosts, and who Mourinho believes may not now be leaving Old Trafford:
'The person that starts the story has to finish the story. A club like us, a manager like me and the people that work in the club with me, we are not silly to try to get a player from a big club, a club that doesn't sell what they don't want to sell. We are not silly to try something if somebody didn't start it. So I think it's time for the good of everyone, to finish the story, to one side or the other side.
'The most important thing is that he played very well. He was a real professional, played for his club, for the club that pays him, tried to win, tried to score. He was fantastic. After that if he wants to leave, he has to say. Or he decided now that he doesn't want to leave anymore. But I praise him because he played a fantastic match, in these difficult circumstances.
'We are going to close another player if he's not coming.'
On criticism of substitute Fernando Torres:
'If you like the numbers, and you like the 50 million pounds, then you have to go there. He scored the goal that on the UEFA Cup so that means some millions, he scored the goal against Everton that put Chelsea in the Champions League so that means some millions, so if it's not already 50, maybe it's 20 now. He is doing his job and today he did again. He worked hard for the team, it was not a game where we were producing a lot for him to have many scoring situations. He did his job and I am happy with Fernando, no problem.'
On unused sub Juan Mata, who has been linked with a move away from the club:
'He is very important for me, for Chelsea. The stories coming are nonsense stories, he goes nowhere and is very important for me. He had a very small pre-season after the Confederations Cup, during that small pre-season he was injured. He started training two days before we played the first Premier League match, and had a match last week against Aston Villa, a difficult one, and today I decided to put him on the bench.
'I played with De Bruyne on the right because I know De Bruyne will give complete control of Evra defensively. When Juan plays on the right he comes more inside. I don't say the kid is more tactically disciplined but is more adapted to that situation. I wanted Oscar to play behind the striker so I decided not to play Juan.. Minute 70, 75, I was feeling [it was] difficult to win, I don't want to lose, so I made the changes to control the last few minutes of the game, but no chance Juan goes anywhere.'
United manager David Moyes, on his home debut, was left frustrated by a dogged Chelsea performance.
'I thought we did create the chances, if anybody created the chances it was us. It was a tight game and we didn't quite have the final cross or the final pass tonight but I think we played very well.
'We gave it a go, it wasn't to be but it wasn't for the lack of trying, that's for sure.'

No comments:

Post a Comment